Monday, October 24, 2011

Spanish Tapas at Cirkulo Restaurant

The Filipino tapa has always been one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast when I'm on a provincial trip or for a midnight snack at Tapa King. As we left the Cirkulo restaurant, I became aware that my new favorite dish is categorized as Tapas with an S in Spanish. I saw the Tapas Festival celebration and incidentally chanced upon a PDI article about "The many flavors of 'tapas'" by Rina Jimenez-David. I came to understand that the initial fascination with Tapas started with association with Tapa and the curiosity grew because of an extraordinary dinner at El Cirkulo.


There's something very addicting about Cirkulo's Gambas Al Ajillo (P365). After all the prawns were gone, I kept coming back for some more of the tasty garlic chips and oil to put in my bread. I could never eat garlic chunks like that until this came along. This was the perfect tapas, definitely a big flavor on a small plate, and the most addicting Gambas I've ever tasted so far.


The sisig came next. It was alright and I was still a little engrossed with the Gambas when this was served.


The Paella Montana (P825) was my next favorite and it sold out fast so I was only able to get a few spoonfuls. There's portobella mushrooms, garlic, asparagus and truffle oil in there. 


I loved the Linguini Parmigiano for the asparagus bits. The cream, parmesan and the crispy Prosciutto provided the different mix of salty and light per bite.


I think this is the Paella Cirkulo (P745). I prefer the Paella Montana to this classic orange mix.


This is Patita, which is baby crispy pata. 


Finally, there's the Slow Roasted US Beef Belly (P875). I would go for it without the horseradish sauce.

If Tapas means snacks or appetizers or little servings of a burst of flavor in your mouth, I would gladly consider all of these as Tapas. I was full with all the taste-testing of these dishes and many more that night. If the menu of Cirkulo has the final say, then just the Gambas and Sisig would qualify. In honor of the Tapas festival in Manila this month, have a tapas evening! I think trying out all their tapas can already be a meal substitute so go for it! Enjoy the wine, the cheese and the bread while you're at it.

Store Details:
El Cirkulo Restaurant
Open Lunch Mondays to Fridays 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Open Dinner Mondays to Saturdays 5:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
810-8735, 810-2763
Ground Floor Milkyway Building
900 Arnaiz Avenue (Pasay Road)
corner Paseo de Roxas, Makati

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments are now being moderated and may not immediately be posted. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I have set this comment section to be easily moderated and filtered against spam.