Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Rare Silence

Today, I watched a baby sleep for the first time. Unconcerned with all the noise around him, he slept so peacefully. I simply couldn't take my eyes off of him. I found myself content at staring, I didn't want to disturb his sleep. When he woke up, he was the center of attention. The others found him unusually quiet and unresponsive to all their provoking. When he turned his head to me, his fingers caught my hand and he stared at me amusingly. I hesitated to hold him in my arms for fear that I may do something wrong to this beautiful baby. But I wanted in my own way to make him smile. He was the perfect baby at the moment, I wish my future baby will be as quiet and used to people like him.


We were all gathered for the annual MoonCake Festival celebration of J's extended family. As what is tradition among the Chinese-Filipino families living in the country, we participated in a dice game with the exciting prizes at mind. The game was followed by a potluck and home-cooked dinner complete from salads to soup to pasta, chicken, beef, seafood and dessert. The air was filled with laughing and story-telling as groups form at separate dining tables. Children were also running around and playing with their young cousins. I don't have a big family and our celebrations are limited to my immediate family, an uncle, an aunt and my two cousins. Until now, I am still not used to being in big crowds and spending the day with a lot of people. When things slow down though, I wish I could be that baby who is left alone in peace. But the success rate would definitely be increased if I were as oblivious as him to the uncontrollable things happening around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments are now being moderated and may not immediately be posted. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I have set this comment section to be easily moderated and filtered against spam.