Thursday, October 13, 2011

Winebar at Cafe 1771

The Winebar is nestled "upstairs", just above the Cafe 1771 in El Pueblo, Ortigas. It looked like a quiet fine dining place and felt like a secret library or secret society (with the matching "books", some gentlemen's chairs and quiet corners). I was impressed with the ambiance before I got to the food.


We ate a lot that night and there were three dishes that stood out for me.


First, let me introduce the dishes that almost made it. J ordered some pumpkin soup. It was okay (as in nothing special). I wish it arrived hotter and with a drizzle of olive oil or cream on top.


There was Raclette available on the menu. It was good at first bite when it was still hot and stringy. But then it got cold and hardened. It felt like eating cheddar cheese towards the end. 


The oysters were baked properly (at least according to my standards, not fishy). I have had better for the taste though and not as soupy.


For the winners, let me start with this Crispy Lemon Chicken. I loved the rice and the tang of lime or lemon zest strips that came with it. I would probably want to eat this for lunch or Sunday brunch but Winebar is not open at those times. Maybe it is available in Cafe 1771's menu. *Wink!


This Vegetarian Lasagna was a welcomed break from all the meat in the table that night. It was actually one of the better ones I've tasted and it was surprising for me to prefer this over all the meat in front of me!


First, I don't know why they had Korean beef in this restaurant and I'm glad they did. The picture was all I could take because it was being passed to and fro so quickly. No doubt this was the best seller in our table.  


I didn't get the exact names since the family ordered all these food for me and we were famished by the time the food got to us. One common forgivable "comment" though was the service and the time it took for the almost-cold food to arrive. Perhaps it was because two people can't wait around 3 to 4 big tables and the voluminous order at once. I didn't include the Lamb Chops, the Osso Bucco, The Angus Steak the other meats and the chocolatey desserts anymore. And lastly, if I ever get to the point when I know more about wine, I wouldn't think twice to try their selection.

Store Details:
Winebar 1771
Open Mondays to Saturdays 6 p.m. to 11 p.m.
2nd Floor above Cafe 1771
El Pueblo, ADB Avenue, Ortigas Center
631-7339

Cafe 1771
Open Mondays to Saturdays 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., Sundays 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
631-7340

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments are now being moderated and may not immediately be posted. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I have set this comment section to be easily moderated and filtered against spam.